Tuesday, April 3, 2018

Spring is Sprung in Oklahoma!

I'm attaching some photos I took as I walked around our acre and our neighborhood. We are proud of our Dogwoods. Everyone here has a pact to not take out too many trees as the lots are being sold out and constructed on, especially trying to preserve all the precious Dogwoods and Redbud trees. Many cars tour our neighborhood in late March / early April just to see the beautiful trees.

The Lovely Bridal Wreath Spirea

Hot Pink Creeping Phlox - Lowe's

Dogwoods in Bloom in the Hood!

Dogwoods in Bloom in the Hood!

Dogwoods in Bloom at Home

Azalea Encore Autumn Bonfire - Lowe's. This one is sure pretty.
I plan to fill this whole area with the same color of Azaleas.

Lavender Creeping Phlox - Lowe's. My goat is eating the plants!
The Hydrangea at the front entrance is coming to life. Our house came
with some of this purple phlox so I added to it along the walkway coming
up to the front door.

Sunday, March 18, 2018

An Oklahoma Gardening Blog - Pre Spring 2018 Garden Update

Spring is Sprung here in Oklahoma!!!!!


Grape Hyacinth

Chinese Fringe

White Astilbe



Thursday, December 7, 2017

New Man Cave Construction Update - December 2017

We're getting there. It's been a few months since I provided the last update so here we go. We are DIY'ing this project as funds provide so this is slow going but we are seeing the light at the end of the tunnel.

We've begun to put the siding on, purchased from Lowe's (8.25" x 12" wood grain hardiboard) just this past week. This is cemented that has been primed and is not supposed to rot. We will paint the siding once it's in place and we decide on a color. We also added the short overhang on the front of the building and bought composite shingles to match the house. These are Tamko shingles in Weatherwood.

The highlight is the cedar shakers and the functioning window just above the overhang. For cost purposes we decided to only put the shakers on the front of the man cave and not the back. We also purchased the shakers from Lowe's, they were about $20.00 a bundle. We originally figured on 6 bundles but had to go back and get 5 more!

This is where we stand on December 7th, 2017. Cold, windy weather is moving in, we're getting our first hard freeze of the season. We will get back after this when weather allows.

Monday, October 23, 2017

Southwest Design - Painted Cow Skulls

I thought I would share these. Before we decided to rent our childhood home out, we were cleaning out the garage out back and I found these. They were painted by my mother back in the 1990's. She was an artist who loved to paint.

This was her motto and a saying she had hanging in her kitchen:

I digress.

On to the cow skulls. These skulls were covered in dust and filth from just having been hung up in the shop. I took them down and carefully washed them in the sink. I let them dry and sprayed a little clear top coat on each one to help preserve her painting.

She was big into Southwest decor in the 90's before she passed away. Everything in our house was the trend at the time!

Goodbye Summer, Hello Fall

A photo I was lucky enough to capture when my Coneflower started to bloom this past Spring.

Beautiful Imperial Moth caterpillar captured this past weekend. You'll want to full screen this one. This is the strangest thing I have seen. I can't tell which end is the face and which is the butt!

Potato Vine, always a good indication of that Fall is just around the corner.